Designed, managed and/or provided content for over thirty sites on LAMP or WordPress-based Web servers. Portfolio and writing samples are available at portfolio.hawkeswood.com.
Graphic Designer/Communicator (Contingent Contract),
FMP Consulting (October 2018 – September 2019)
• Design a wide variety of collateral artifacts (one pagers, logos, posters, brochures, and
business cards) using Adobe CC (Illustrator, InDesign) Sketch, InVision, GitHub, and Slack to
support a major government agency’s team web sites.
• Develop a guide for best practices and design requirements for highly focused, web-based
microsites to support the Open Opportunities platform and USAJOBS.
• Design additional collateral for other projects, including infographics, newsletters, white
papers, pricing schedules, and other print documents.
• Participate in regular Agile scrum meetings and work group sessions to determine tasks.
Independent Web Design/Management Consultant, Web Management Services (June 2005 – Present)
• Develop and negotiate client contracts, define scope of work and realistic budget goals, site
management plans, graphic design, and content migration for non-profit arts organizations,
membership, associations, professional businesses enterprises, and individuals.
• Adobe Creative Suite (most notably Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects).
• WordPress/WooCommerce set-up, migration, page, and blog layout; customized theme
design, and assistance with hosting selection.
• Create site architecture wireframe designs in Lucidchart; assist clients with selecting
appropriate content and navigation. Manage projects and teams as needed.
• Provide comps, with options for layout, look and feel, and other design elements.
• Additional services include copy editing, content development, email and technical support.
• Costume-ConNections: A visual and data archive recently migrated from initial static
HTML design. 30,000 image visual gallery managed with Gallery2 (PHP/MySQL) database.
Migrated front end to WordPress to simplify maintenance and content retrieval. Managing
six-person migration/conversion team to replace old Gallery2 installation with WordPress/
• Blood and Cardstock Games: Site design, management, and e-commerce support. Implemented LinkPoint and PayPal payment gateways. Revised content and provided email support as needed.
• The Maccoby Group: Revised site structure and updated look and feel of site to improve navigation and site maintenance for web manager. Updated CSS structure to improve graphic presentation.
Additional Contract work:
• Interactive Technologies Group, Inc.: As part of six-member team, assisted with
converting multi-lesson web-based training course from Microsoft PowerPoint storyboards
and draft graphics to fully realized multi-page online course pages for Defense Acquisition
University. Manually adjusted CSS templates as needed; ensured Section 508 compliance.
• The Bow and the Butterfly: children’s book illustrations/layout with Corel Painter Essentials, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign; 1st printing December, 2016 through CreateSpace.
• The Puppeteer: wrote screenplay, directed and produced nine-minute short film based on Hans Christian Andersen’s The Puppet-Show Man, using Nikon and Panasonic cameras, Adobe Premiere and After Effects.
• Shot and produced 20-minute video documentary, edited with Sony Vegas Studio, for a client, utilizing existing video footage, still images and audio track.
• Produced several short videos for Washington Revels, Time-Based Media, and Film and Media Production. (YouTube: Hawkeswood Productions Channel)
WebInvent.com, Inc. (January 1997 – May 2005):
• Owner/Primary Designer, responsible for all business decisions, contracts, project
management, marketing, and development.
• Provided management/design/content migration services to organizations and individuals
requiring a web presence using Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver.
• Used Visio to define initial site architecture, content, layout, graphics, and project scheduling.
• Managed all projects and supervised a team of four employees/contractors located both onsite
• Developed and negotiated client contracts, worked with clients to determine scope of work.
• Member, Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society, Alpha Alpha Sigma Chapter (2014)
• Lifetime Achievement Award, International Costumers’ Guild (2008)
• Costume-Con Founder’s Award (2005)
• International Costumers’ Guild President’s Award (2003)
• Cast Member, Alpha Psi Omega Theatre Honors Society, Kappa Lambda Chapter (1984)
• BA in Graphic Communication, University of Maryland University College/Global Campus