I work with nonprofit educational/arts organizations, government contractors, professional associations, small businesses, and individuals.
My experience helps me create documents and websites that communicate my client’s mission and goals clearly and easily. As both a W2 and freelance designer, I know how to help my clients focus on sharing their message in the best way possible.
• Develop and negotiate client contracts, define scope of work and realistic budget goals, site management plans, graphic design, and content migration for non-profit arts organizations, membership, associations, professional businesses enterprises, and individuals.
• Design with Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects).
• WordPress/WooCommerce set-up, migration, page, and blog layout; customized theme design, and assistance with hosting selection.
• Site architecture wireframes to assist clients with selecting appropriate content and navigation. Manage projects and teams as needed.
• Comps for layout, look and feel, and other design element options.
• Additional services include copy editing, content development, email and technical support.
See my online portfolio at portfolio.hawkeswood.com.
Web/Graphic Designer and Videographer/Editor | Web Management Services (Contract)
June 2005 – Present
Graphic Designer | Green Key Resources/Manhattan Strategy Group
- Created a variety of on-brand infographics and other collateral for a government agency, a set of logos for a government grant program, and revised a PowerPoint presentation to adjust look-and-feel for consistency using Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator/InDesign), Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Created the design for the 2019 corporate holiday card.
- Contract extended three times.
WordPress Themer | Vector Talent/American College of Cardiology (ACC)
- Created a portable customized WordPress theme to be deployed by up to 26 chapters of the ACC, based on the ACC’s existing website.
- Created wireframe layout, incorporated ACC branding (color, layout, typography), and revised over 2,000 lines of CSS code to insure consistent look and feel and responsive layout compatible across devices.
- Selected and installed appropriate plugins to assist with layout as needed.
- Drafted a complete step-by-step instruction guide for installing and customizing the theme for each chapter, including section headings, links to select resources, and tutorials to assist new WordPress users with understanding the basics of site architecture and customization.
Web Designer | The Maccoby Group:
- Revised site structure and updated look and feel of site to improve navigation and site maintenance for web manager.
- Updated CSS structure to improve graphic presentation.
Web Designer | Interactive Technologies Group, Inc./Defense Acquisition University (US Dept. of Homeland Security)
- As part of a six-member team, converted multi-lesson web-based training course from Microsoft PowerPoint storyboards and draft graphics to fully realized multi-page online course.
- Manually adjusted CSS templates as needed; insured Section 508 compliance.
Web Designer | Blood and Cardstock Games:
- Complete site design, management, and e-commerce support.
- Implemented LinkPoint and PayPal payment gateways.
- Revised content and provided email support as needed.
Graphic Designer/Communicator | FMP Consulting
October 2018 – September 2019
- Designed a wide variety of collateral artifacts (one pagers, logos, posters, brochures, and
business cards) using Adobe CC (Illustrator, InDesign) Sketch, InVision, GitHub, and Slack to
support a major government agency’s team web sites.
- Developed a guide for best practices and design requirements for highly focused, web-based microsites to support the Open Opportunities platform and USAJOBS.
- Designed additional collateral for other projects, including infographics, newsletters, white
papers, pricing schedules, and other print documents.
- Participated in regular Agile scrum meetings and work group sessions to determine tasks.
May 2006 – Present
Web Designer/Manager | Costume-ConNections:
• Migrated front end data archive from initial static HTML pages to WordPress to simplify maintenance and content retrieval.
• Managing six-person migration/conversion team to replace 30,000 image visual gallery managed with Gallery2 (PHP/MySQL) database installation with WordPress/compatible solution.
• The Bow and the Butterfly: children’s book illustrations/layout with Corel Painter Essentials, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign; 1st printing December, 2016 through CreateSpace.
• Room 3: Edited video submission for 48-Hour Film Festival with Discordian Films using Adobe Premiere Pro (Creative Cloud). Film was nominated for Best Villain and Best Scare.
• The Puppeteer: wrote screenplay, directed and produced nine-minute short film based on Han Christian Andersen’s The Puppet-Show Man, using Nikon and Panasonic Lumix cameras, Adobe Premiere and After Effects.
• Untitled Documentary: Shot and produced a 20-minute video documentary, edited with Sony Vegas Studio, for a client, utilizing existing video footage, still images and audio track.
• Promotional Video: Produced several short videos for Washington Revels, Time-Based Media, and Film and Media Production. (YouTube: Hawkeswood Productions Channel)
See YouTube: Hawkeswood Productions Channel.
• Member, Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society, Alpha Alpha Sigma Chapter (2014)
• Lifetime Achievement Award, International Costumers’ Guild (2008)
• Costume-Con Founder’s Award (2005)
• International Costumers’ Guild President’s Award (2003)
• Cast Member, Alpha Psi Omega Theatre Honors Society, Kappa Lambda Chapter (1984)
• BA in Graphic Communication, University of Maryland Global Campus
• BA in Theatre Arts (Design/Technical emphasis), SUNY College at New Paltz